SHORT FICTION CONTEST, 2022 Jan 31, 2022 13:43:48 GMT -6
Post by RAVENEYE on Jan 31, 2022 13:43:48 GMT -6
2022 Contest Season Launch!
SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED!
You never know what February’s contest will be. Last year we wrote short memoirs detailing our misadventures. This year, to launch our 2022 contest season, we’ve selected short fiction in a specific genre. And look! There’s an image prompt as well. Challenge yourself with something new!
Your Prompt Image:
(image credit: Andrew Amistad: unsplash.com/photos/4dGRiOoqudg)
NOIR FICTION is about hopeless, nihilistic losers. So... Who is this person? What is she doing there? Is she a criminal? A victim? A witness? When you find out, let us in on the secret.
Submissions open: Tuesday, February 1
Submissions close, voting begins: Wednesday, February 16, 11:59 pm, US Central
Voting closes, winners announced: Wednesday, March 2
One entry only per contestant
Word limit: 3500
I am using THIS WORD COUNTER to ensure entries do not exceed the limit.
Your story must be unique, written specifically for this contest. You may not submit a story you have already been working on or wrote in the past. Nor will we accept fan fiction – no pre-owned detectives, cops, or villains.
Do NOT disclose which entry is yours.
Please use this template when submitting:
Subgenre: (if applicable)
SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRY
Send your entry to me (Raveneye) via Private Message in BB Code according to THESE INSTRUCTIONS. Each entry will be posted anonymously in the Poetry Forum. I will not edit mistakes, typos, or for readability.
NOTE: The ProBoards private message system does NOT allow us to edit our PMs. If you see a problem with your entry, you may resend it up to the moment I post it for judging.
Each entry will be posted anonymously in the Fiction Forum.
Voting is open to all Legendfirians! Every contestant is REQUIRED to vote.
Unless excused for serious reasons, contestants must vote on all entries. Contestants will receive reminders of this requirement 1 week, 3 days, and 1 day prior to the end of the voting period. If you do not vote on ALL entries, your entry will be disqualified.
Please follow these steps:
1. Critique each entry according to the following three criteria. Respond with two sentences minimum per criteria. The goal is to help the author improve their craft. NOTE: voters who leave one-liner critiques to justify their vote will receive warnings according to our warning system.
* Technical writing elements: Which elements were technically sound in this entry? What still needs work? (consider writing fundamentals, the things found in grammar manuals, dictionaries, clarity guides, etc.)
* Artistic writing elements: What appealed to me in this entry? What might benefit from revision? (Consider things like narrative hook, emotional impact, character arc, word choice, metaphor, imagery, uniqueness, etc.)
* Prompt: How well does this entry relate to the prompt?
2. Assign each of the three criteria a numerical value, from 1 to 5, with five being the most favorable.
3. Add your scores and divide by 3 to get an average score. For example: 3.5 + 3 + 4 = 3.5 (The contest host will collect all the averaged scores for each entry and tally the overall average to determine the winners.)
You may vote for yourself to maintain your anonymity. This vote will not count toward the final score.
All entries must have the same number of votes for each vote to count. For example, if over half the entries receive 7 votes, we will set the final vote requirement to 7 votes per entry.
Huff Post article: Noir Fiction is About Losers...
New Yorker article: Money, Sex, and Revenge
100 Hard Honor Points for all entrants, upon submitting their entry.
1st Place winners: an additional 200 Hard Honor Points, for a total of 300. Entry’s inclusion in the LegendFire Compendium.
2nd and 3rd Place winners: an additional 100 Hard Honor Points, for a total of 200. Entry’s inclusion in the LegendFire Compendium.
(Contestants must edit their Honor Points themselves within their profile settings)
Tell everyone about the contest by adding the contest badge to your signature:
Please post below, telling me you plan to enter.