HALLOWEEN FICTION CONTEST 2021 - Oct 1, 2021 16:56:10 GMT -6
Post by Alatariel on Oct 1, 2021 16:56:10 GMT -6
HALLOWEEN FICTION CONTEST 2021
"They've promised that dreams can come true- but forgot to mention that nightmares are dreams, too."
- Oscar Wilde
- Oscar Wilde
The Halloween contest is my favorite one of the year. I'm honored to bring it back! First thing to make clear, ALL GENRES ARE WELCOME. This is not a horror contest, but of course you can write a horror or gothic paranormal or a chilling tale, but it is not required. Join us!
DREAMS AND NIGHTMARES
DREAMS AND NIGHTMARES
This is a DUAL PROMPT
WHAT IS A DUAL PROMPT?
This means you may choose to write about dreams OR nightmares OR both! You can use both words to inspire your story or just one. Please refer to the quote above to help with inspiration! Feel free to ask any questions below or send me (Alatariel) a personal message.
Submissions open: Friday, October 1st
Submissions close, voting begins: Saturday, October 16th at 11:59 Mountain Time (yes, different than Raveneye because I live in the Mountain Time Zone)
Voting closes:Saturday, October 30th at 11:59 MT
Winners Announced: October 31st
1. Word limit: 3,000
***I am using THIS WORD COUNTER to ensure entries do not exceed the limit.***
2. One entry only per contest participant
3. Your story must be unique. You may not use something that you have been working on or anything that has been posted on the Internet. No fan fiction. No erotica. Do NOT disclose which entry is yours.
Please use this template when submitting:
SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRY
Send your entry to me (Alatariel) via Private Message in BB Code according to THESE INSTRUCTIONS. Each entry will be posted anonymously in the Fiction Forum. I will not edit mistakes, typos, or for readability.
NOTE: The ProBoards private message system does NOT allow us to edit our PMs. If you see a problem with your entry, you may resend it up to the moment I post it for judging.
Voting is open to all Legendfirians! You are REQUIRED to vote on all entries if you enter the contest.
You will receive reminders of this requirement 1 week, 3 days, and 1 day prior to the end of the voting period. If you do not vote on ALL entries (unless excused for serious reasons) your entries will be disqualified.
Please follow these steps:
1. Critique each entry according to the following questions. Answer them as thoroughly as possible. Two sentences minimum per question. The goal is to help the author improve their craft. NOTE: voters who leave one-liner critiques to justify their vote will receive warnings according to our warning system.
Technical writing elements: Which elements were technically sound in this entry? What still needs work? (Consider SPaG, story structure, poetic form. How coherent is the argument? Do the sources cited provide adequate evidence?)
Artistic writing elements: What appealed to me in this entry? What might benefit from revision? (Consider things like character development, appropriate word choice, metaphor, imagery, uniqueness, etc.)
Prompt: How well does this entry relate to the prompt?
2. Assign each area a numerical value: Rate each entry from 1 to 5, with five being the most favorable.
3. Add your scores you allotted to each area and divide by 3 to get an average score. For example: 3.5 + 3 + 4 = 3.5 (The contest host will collect all the averaged scores for each entry and tally the overall average to determine the winners.)
You may vote for yourself to maintain your anonymity. This vote will not count toward the final score.
All entries must have the same number of votes for each vote to count. For example, if over half the entries receive 7 votes, we will set the final vote requirement to 7 votes per entry.
100 Hard Honor Points for all entrants, upon submitting their entry
1st Place winners: an additional 200 Hard Honor Points, for a total of 300.
2nd and 3rd Place winners: an additional 100 Hard Honor Points, for a total of 200.
(Contestants must edit their Honor Points themselves within their profile settings)
CONTEST PROMOTION BADGE:
10. Valhalla Erikson