POETRY CONTEST, 2022 Apr 1, 2022 10:37:31 GMT -6
Post by RAVENEYE on Apr 1, 2022 10:37:31 GMT -6
POETRY CONTEST 2022
In honor of National Poetry Month, which runs all through April, LegendFire brings to you our 2022 Poetry Contest!
At the origin of all things branch the roots. Before the leaf sprouts. Before the thought forms. Before the heart beats. Roots. At the heart of the world, roots of fire spring into mountains. At the beginning of you, an ancestor. Tell us what resonates with you, when you consider the vital role of roots.
You are not required to use the prompt word within the poem, but the poem should clearly reflect "Roots" as its theme and/or topic.
One poem only, any form or style of your choice (see Resources below for ideas)
Line limit: 50
Your poem must be unique, written specifically for this contest. You may not submit a poem you have already been working on or wrote in the past.
Do not disclose which entry is yours.
Template (Required. Copy, paste, fill out, and include with your submission):
Submissions open: Friday, April 1
Submissions close, voting begins: Sunday, April 17, 11:59 pm, US Central
Voting closes, winners announced: MAY 1, 11:59 pm, US Central
WINNERS ANNOUNCED: MAY 2
SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRY
Send your entry to me (Raveneye) via Private Message in BB Code according to THESE INSTRUCTIONS. Each entry will be posted anonymously in the Poetry Forum. I will not edit mistakes, typos, or for readability.
NOTE: The ProBoards private message system does NOT allow us to edit our PMs. If you see a problem with your entry, you may resend it up to the moment I post it for judging.
Voting is open to all Legendfirians! Every contestant is REQUIRED to vote.
Unless excused for serious reasons, contestants must vote on all entries. You will receive 2 reminders of this requirement 1 week and again 3 days prior to the end of the voting period. If you do not vote on ALL entries, your entry will be disqualified.
Please follow these steps:
1. Judge each entry according to the following questions. Answer them as thoroughly as possible. Two sentences minimum per question. See the Resources below if you need help critiquing the poems.
NOTE: voters who leave one-liner critiques to justify their vote will receive warnings according to our warning system. The purpose of commenting is to help writers improve their writing, so be thorough, please.
Technical writing elements: Which elements were technically sound in this entry? What still needs work?
Artistic writing elements: What appealed to me in this entry? What might benefit from revision?
Prompt: How well does this entry relate to the prompt?
2. After answering these questions, assign each area a numerical value: Rate each entry from 1 to 5, with five being the most favorable.
3. Add your scores and divide by 3 to get an average score. For example: 3.5 + 3 + 4 = 3.5 (The contest host will collect all the average scores for each entry and tally the averages to determine the winners.)
* You may vote for yourself to maintain your anonymity. This vote will not count toward the final score.
* All entries must have the same number of votes for each vote to count. For example, if over half the entries receive 7 votes, we will set the final vote requirement to 7 votes per entry.
All contestants: 100 Hard Honor Points upon submitting their entry.
1st Place Winner: an additional 200 Hard Honor Points for a total of 300. Poem's inclusion in the 2022 issue of The Compendium.
2nd and 3rd Place Winners: an additional 100 Hard Honor Points for a total of 200. Poem's inclusion in the 2022 issue of The Compendium.
NOTE: contestants must edit their Honor Points themselves within their profile settings.
Tell everyone about the contest by adding the contest badge to your signature.
Please post below to have your name added to the list.
While you compose your poem, look around the forum for other ways to explore and appreciate poetry all month long.